Dr. Christian Koranteng
Main page content
Christian Koranteng is a senior lecturer at the Department of Architecture, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana. He holds a Ph.D. degree from the Institute of Building Physics and Human Ecology, Vienna University of Technology, Austria.
As an architect and building physicist, his major research interest is in the area of building performance, simulation and ecology, specifically thermal comfort and energy performance of buildings. Being a graduate Chartered Architect from the Vienna University of Technology, Austria, he majored in theory of buildings (housing), urban design and building construction. He has a keen interest in computer aided design (CAD).
Since 2003, his teaching activities at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology are centered on computer aided design, architectural science, architectural design studio and research methods. He has been involved in the supervision of research at the undergraduate and graduate level and including PhD theses across the departments of Horticulture, Building Technology, and Civil Engineering.
Christian has won a number of prizes including: (1) Outstanding Performance at the 2012 Professional Practice Examinations of the Architects Registration Council of Ghana, (2) Outstanding Presentation (Engineering Stream) at the 4th Annual Applied Research Conference of Koforidua Polytechnic, Koforidua, July 11-14, 2011, and (3) Best Paper at the 1st International Postgraduate Research Conference on the Built Environment, KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana, June 3-4, 2010.
- Ghana Green Buildings
- Ghana Institute of Architects
- Ghana Science Association
- International Building Performance and Simulation Association (German Branch)
- Natural Cooling Research Group (Building Physics and Building Ecology Institute, TU Vienna)
- The Energy Centre, KNUST, Kumasi
- International Research and Development Network
- Computer Aided Design
- Architectural Science
- Research Methods
- Architectural Design Studio
- Climate Control in Tropical Architecture
- Building Performance Modeling and Simulations
- Research Methodology
Selected Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Amos-Abanyie, S., Koranteng, C. and Apeatse, K.E. (2014). An Evaluation of the Effects of External Landscaping Elements on Indoor Airflow Rate and Patterns Using Computational Fluid Dynamics, European Scientific Journal, Vol.10, No.14, ISSN: 1857 – 7881, ISSN 1857- 7431 286, pp. 286-299.
- Agyekum, K., Ayarkwa, J. and Koranteng, C. (2014). A Holistic Diagnosis of Rising Damp and Salt Attack in Two Residential Buildings in Kumasi, Ghana. Journal of Construction Engineering, Vol. 2014, Article ID 398627 Online, pp. 1-13.
- Simons B., Koranteng C., and Adinyira E. (2014a). Assessing Ghanaian Workplace Performance in Multi-Storey Office Buildings, Journal of Developing Country Studies, ISSN 2224-607X (Paper) ISSN 2225-0565 (Online), 4(4):140-151.
- Agyekum K., Ayarkwa J., and Koranteng C. (2014). Perceptions of Building Occupants on Effectiveness of Practiced Damp Remediation Measures in Ghana, Journal of Environment and Earth Science, ISSN 2224-3216 (Paper) ISSN 2225-0948 (Online), 4(1): 121-132.
- Simons B., Koranteng C., and Adinyira E. (2014b). Indoor Thermal Environment: Occupants Responsiveness in 4 Multi-Storey Office Buildings in Accra, Ghana, Journal of Environment and Earth Science, ISSN 2224-3216 (Paper) ISSN 2225-0948 (Online), 4(4):122-130.
- Simons B., Koranteng C., and Ayarkwa J. (2014). Occupants’ Evaluation of the Operation, Functionality of Building Control Systems and Energy Implications in Multi-Storey Office Buildings in Ghana, Journal of Energy Technologies and Policy, ISSN 2224-3232 (Paper) ISSN 2225-0573 (Online), 4(2):48-58.
- Appah, D. J. and Koranteng, C. (2012). A Thermal Comfort Evaluation of a Junior High School Building in ACCRA, GHANA, Journal of Construction Project Management and Innovation Vol. 2 (2): 403-423.
- Koranteng C. and Simons B. (2012). An Investigation into the Use of Natural Lighting in Three Students’ Hostels: A Case Study of Ayeduase, A Suburb of Kumasi, Ghana, Journal of Science and Technology, Ghana (JUST) Vol.32, No.3, pp.38-48.
- Koranteng. C. and Simons. B.(2011). Contrasting the Principles Behind the Orientation of Building Forms and Location of Spatial Components Around the Globe. Journal of Science and Technology, Ghana (JUST) Vol.31, No.3, pp.77-85.
- Dibra. A., Mahdavi. A. and Koranteng. C. (2011). An Analysis of User Behaviour and Indoor Climate in an Office building in Kosovo, Journal of Applied Science Research (AASR, ISSN 0975-508X), 2 (5):48-63.
- Koranteng. C., Nyame-Tawiah. D. and Quansah, E. (2011). A Psychrometric Analysis of Thermal Comfort in Low-Rise Office Buildings in Ghana, Journal of Science and Technology, Ghana (JUST) Vol.31, No.1, pp 76-88.
- Koranteng. C. and Mahdavi. A. (2011). An Investigation into the Thermal Performance of Office Buildings in Ghana, International Journal on Energy and Buildings (EnB), Vol: 43 (2011) 555–563.
- Koranteng. C. (2010). The Evaluation of Occupants’ Behaviour and Preferences in Office Buildings in Ghana, Journal of Science and Technology, Ghana (JUST) Vol.30, No.32, pp.64-79.
Selected Peer Reviewed Conference Publications
- Addy, M., Adinyira, E. and Koranteng, C. (2014a). A Review of Research Methodologies in Building Energy Efficiency Assessment In: Laryea, S. and Ibem, E. (Eds.) Proceedings 8th Construction Industry Development Board (cidb) Postgraduate Conference, 10-11 February 2014, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 85-100.
- Addy, M. N., Adinyira E., and Koranteng C. (2014b). Architects’ Perception on the Challenges of Building Energy Efficiency in Ghana, Proceedings: 3rd International Conference on Infrastructure Development in Africa (ICIDA), 17-19 March, 2014 Abeokuta, Nigeria, 103-113, pp. 103-112.
Christian Koranteng (AGIA)
Department of Architecture
College of Art and Built Environment
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
Mobile phone: +233 24 485 8961